Because of our strong financial position, the Government is increasing support to those who most need a helping hand.
In an Australian first, this Government is proud to have developed the Resolve Program, a social impact investment focused on improving mental health outcomes, in partnership with Flourish Australia and Social Ventures Australia. From October 2017, Flourish Australia will deliver the Resolve Program to approximately 530 patients in Nepean Blue Mountains and Western NSW Local Health Districts.
To help those who care for us, the Government is investing $10 million across four years to protect the wellbeing of NSW ambulance staff and reduce the number of paramedics impacted by workplace injuries.
This Budget also provides:
- $217.3 million over four years of needs-based funding towards the Start Strong program for preschool education, including giving kids a head start when they begin school
- $148.0 million over four years to support high needs children in Out of Home Care
- $63.2 million over four years to improve child protection case work practice and address critical capacity gaps, including additional caseworkers, case managers, and case support workers
- an additional $20.4 million over four years to support Homelessness Strategy initiatives that provide access to an additional 120 transitional accommodation units and support packages for rough sleepers
- $20 million additional funding to continue the implementation of Living Well: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health Reform in NSW. This new funding now brings total annual spending to $95 million for implementing this major reform in how we care for those suffering from mental health conditions. Total mental health recurrent spending will exceed $1.9 billion in 2017-18, an $87 million increase over the previous year.