The Government is investing to improve the justice system, reduce reoffending rates and safeguard the community.
This Budget allocates $1.1 billion towards the State’s extensive network of courts and tribunals, to help them manage civil and criminal legal matters.
In the four years to 2019-20, the Government continues to deliver the $3.8 billion Prison Bed Capacity Program to provide additional prison capacity across the state.
This Budget also provides:
- $62 million to continue the delivery of programs to reduce adult reoffending under the Criminal Justice Reform Program
- $47 million over three years to combat radicalisation in the NSW correctional system
- $38 million over four years to enhance the State’s bushfire fighting capability by contracting large air tankers in bushfire season
- $15 million in 2017-18 to continue to strengthen the NSW Police Force counter-terrorism capability and air support
- $14 million over three years to continue the extension and expansion of the Youth on Track program
- $5.4 million in 2017-18 to support the continued delivery of an additional 40 sheriff officers at NSW Court Houses
- $5 million in 2017-18 to improve officer safety through the provision of integrated light armoured vests.
In an Australian first, the Government is also delivering the On TRACC (Transition Reintegration and Community Connection) social impact investment to reduce reoffending and re-incarceration rates of 3,900 parolees over five years.