|Region||Armidale Regional, Glen Innes Severn, Gunnedah, Gwydir, Inverell, Liverpool Plains, Moree Plains, Narrabri, Tamworth Regional, Tenterfield, Uralla and Walcha|
|Key industries:||Accommodation and food services, education and training, health care and social assistance|
The New England and North West region lies on the border of Queensland, covering an area of 97,506 square kilometres. Landscapes in the region range from volcanic rain forest tablelands and cliffs in the east to the highly productive floodplains in the west.
The NSW Government is investing in schools, hospitals, police and fire stations to deliver better services in the region. The Government is improving accessibility to TAFE NSW with Connected Learning Centres that will help to skill the workforce in the region.
Key highlights include:
- continuing major work on the upgrade of the Farrer Memorial Agricultural High School
- Tamworth will receive funding under the $65.0 million research and development partnership with the Grains Research and Development Corporation to extend research into winter crop development, infrastructure capacity development and skill development
- continuing works on Connected Learning Centres in Glen Innes, Quirindi and Tenterfield and the refurbishment of trade facilities at the TAFE NSW Gunnedah Campus
- continuing the $60.0 million redevelopment of Armidale Hospital, with $29.5 million allocated in 2017-18
- $30.0 million towards redevelopment of the Inverell Hospital including $5.0 million in 2017-18
- roads and infrastructure initiatives include:
- $17.0 million in federal and state funding in 2017-18 for the Bolivia Hill upgrade on the New England Highway
- $3.0 million in federal funding for the Tenterfield heavy vehicle bypass
- continuing works on the Gunnedah Police Station for a total project cost of $5.5 million
- $4.8 million over three years for a new fire station at West Tamworth
- $4.25 million contribution to the Northern Inland Centre of Sporting Excellence in Tamworth, to help grow regional sport from grassroots through to elite level.